Monday 29 July 2013

Let's Learn Korean - Particle (으)ㄹ 수 있다/없다 -



 

단 한번 만날 수 있다면 그대 날 바라볼 수 있다면... 

Yup! now we're gonna study about the particle that's being used in white lies..
soooo let's go to the business!! ^^


Particle (으)ㄹ 수 있다/없다

This particle is used for showing the abilty or the possibility of doing something. So, the meaning is "can" or "possible" for 을 수 있다 for root word which ends by consonant and ㄹ 수 있다 for vowel, while it's "can't" or "impossible" for 을 수 없다 for root word which ends by consonant and ㄹ 수 없다 for vowel.

Example:  -  단 한번 만  얐다면  =  If i could meet you once again/If it's possible to meet you once again
                  -  그 뉴스를 읽  있어요  =  I can read that news/It's possible for me to read that news
                  -  고기를 먹  없어요  =  I can't eat meat/It's impossible for me to eat meat
                  -  피아노를   없어요  =  I can't play the piano/It's impossible for me to play the piano


 So, this particle has the same meaning and usefulness with 되 and 못? yes, it is! (read about 못 here)


When this particle is being paired with adjectives, it shows the possibility of situation or condition that will happen in the future. And it can also be paired with 도 "also", 만 "only" and 밖에 "there's nothing except this" after 수 to give additional meaning (read about this particles in here and here). But when it's be paired with 밖에, the meaning of the new particle will become "there's no other way/I can't not to..."

Example:  -  내일의 날씨가 좋  있어요  =  Perhaps the weather will be nice tomorrow
                  -  내일의 날씨가 더울 수도 없어요  =  Perhaps the weather won't be hot again tomorrow
                  -  영국에서  수만 있으면 좋겠어요  =  It'll be great if only i could live in England
                  -  고기를 먹 수밖에 없어요  =  I can only eat meat (I can't not to eat meat)
                  -  제 차를  수밖에 없어요  =  I can only sell my car (There's no other way except to sell my car/I can't not to sell my car)


Why is it only any example of 수 밖에 없다? where's the example of 수밖에 있다? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
You can find the answer at my post about 밖에 ㅋㅋㅋㅋ







No comments: